Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Sweetest Kind of Words...

Ever heard of the book, Five Love Languages? You can be any combination of acts of service, quality time, words of affirmation, physical touch, or gifts. When properly applied, your specific love language can fill your "love tank." If you have not read the Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman, you should pick up a copy...I feel that it was a life-changing book for me. You not only learn your OWN love language, but also start to make a game of identifying how others around you best feel loved. I like to re-read through this book every once in awhile and I always seem to glean new tidbits I never caught before.

My two are definitely, without a doubt, quality time and words of affirmation. When I spend TIME with Joe, I feel loved, and when I hear him saying encouraging things( even if he just notices that i did laundry that day and says thank you), my tank is filled even further.

Well, this week, I sat down and opened all the mail from the last week and a half that had piled up while we were in Texas (more posts on our visit soon to come). I had my cup of hot tea (Tazo, I'm sure) and sat in front of my pile and smiled. This is my favorite part of the Christmas season. Seeing other people's cards and pictures of their families makes me so happy. So, every year, i save the cards until i have a big batch and then i sit down with them and just smile and read them over and over again. It's so comforting when you are so far away- it makes me feel honored that I made their lists and they remembered us, and happy that I can share in a yearly snapshot of their lives.

I came to one small, very plain envelope from an address that I did not recognize and it simply said my name. Puzzled, I set it aside and saved it for last...chances are, it was probably a bill or something from Compassion International, Joyce Meyer, or Save the Children (all of which seem to follow me wherever we move! All good causes, but they send LOTS of mail my way! you understand...).

I opened the little white card after I was done with all the other ones, and much to my surprise, it was a letter to ME from Joe's plant manager at work. Now I was really intrigued!

The letter read:

"Dear Katy (it was even spelled right!),
Here at "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" (Joe's place of employment), we spend alot of time recognizing partners for their hard work and dedication. I know, however, that there are VIP'S at home that have even more of an impact and influence than those here at the plant. I want to recognize you for your patience, support, and flexibility during the past several months. I know you know this, but Joe is a very special guy individually, but with you by his side, you become a team that makes us #1! Thanks for all you do behind the scenes!

Happy Holidays,
Dave"

And then the tears came! I read and re-read the letter several times and my heart was so full. Being a wife to a husband who is on the "fast-track," so to speak, means I have to lay down and sacrifice a lot and be willing to move at a moment's notice across the country to a new place full of unknowns. I always know it means alot to my Joe that he has a support system at home, but to hear it from someone else meant the world. Those words blessed my heart so much, I cannot even tell you!

The Bible talks over and over about how powerful our words are. James 3:10 says, "Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." Choose to bless with your words today and think how much simple words or even a "thank you" could mean to someone around you!

The sweetest kind of words are the ones that come from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment