Thursday, February 11, 2010

Punxsutawney Phil, you better sleep with one eye open!

So there's this cute little tradition Pennsylvania people have that the world has adopted about a groundhog. I know, the story is already kooky- a groundhog, really?! But wait, it gets better! They pull this ugly little furry thing out of hibernation once a year to see if he will see his shadow or not and legend has it, that is how we can predict the next six weeks of weather. Teachers like my mom thrive on these kinds of silly little things...people make movies, shirts, even fan clubs! I was on the internet researching and people literally make pilgrimages to come see this ugly groundhog in the freezing cold to see if he sees his shadow. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Well, lets just say that this little mangy beast predicted six more weeks of winter this year right as we were moving in and, true to tradition, we are getting six more flippin weeks of winter! We have had two blizzards already accumulating over three feet of snow...yes you read right, three FEET! My mom says i am the local celebrity in her class lately because they are enamored with Phil and Groundhog Day, but even more so since i now live where Phil is. I bet those little first graders think he's living in my backyard! She also called me the other day and said a little boy brought in a retractable tape measure for show and tell (I'm telling you, they are amazed at anything!). Just for kicks she said " Class, let's measure how much snow my daughter has on the ground at her house in Pennsylvania where the groundhog Phil lives!" She said she had to get up on a chair to show them how deep it was (granted, my mom is not even five feet tall so the chair added some definite drama to the whole thing!). Mom said they couldn't even believe it- their little Texan minds could not even comprehend that much of the white stuff...down there, I remember even if we would get a dusting of snow, school was shut down to play in it!!

I, on the other hand, am over the "pretty factor" of all the snow. I have decided it is magical when it's falling and then when you wake up to several feet, it's nice to look at with a cup of coffee, but let me tell you first hand, the newness wears off when you are shoveling the driveway with snow up to your waist, stuck inside for two days, and you have to take the dog out about every hour to potty in subzero temps: that's when it gets old fast!

So as promised, here are some snow pics ( before the additional 14+ inches we got on top of that last night!)

A very bundled-up Tex gets ready to go play in the snow


Joe and tex


Katy and Tex


The view of the front of the house and the cars!


Joe and me


Tex tuckered out after a long day playing in the snow


So all i have to say is Punxsutawaney Phil, you better sleep with one eye open! I'm coming after you, you little punk!

PS: i think i am starting to understand cabin fever!

1 comment:

  1. Ummm. A few comments:
    1. You loved Groundhog Day when you were in my first grade class.
    2. I am five feet tall.
    3. Thanks for all the pictures. Tex looks adorable all bundled up.
    (I miss you, Katy!)
    YBM

    ReplyDelete