Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Dairy Widow....

My sweet friend, A (who writes THIS blog), is the very patient, loving wife of her man, J, who is in law school right now. She has referred to herself at times as a "Law Widow."

I, friends, am a "DAIRY WIDOW!"

You see, my sweet man works for a company who deals in dairy: milk, cheese, yogurt, cream cheese-you name it, they do it.

This has made for an interesting married life. Taco spice days at the cheese plant were the pits. My Joe would come home smelling so strong I would run to the other room so he could make it to the shower before I could smell it, but despite our best efforts, I would sneeze the rest of the night!

Joe used to work at the cheese plant, and he would joke that he "cut the cheese all day long." But now, we are in the yogurt division and he likes to say he is"going to work to get more cultured!" Funny guy, that Joe! Cheesy, but funny.:)

Being a dairy widow was never something I thought about or aspired to. It just found me.

But I can tell you how I cringe when I see Subway is running another "five dollar footlong" promotional...that song haunts me in my sleep. They run that commercial and you can bet my man will be pulling weekend shifts trying to fill all the orders for that week! Now that we are in yogurt, you can imagine my disdain when shows like the Biggest Loser add in copious amounts of shameless product placement throughout the show for the new Greek yogurt that Joe is making. Drat!

(Greek yogurt is a newer thing...its zero fat and very high protein, so its a great breakfast with fruit and granola, or a really good snack after working out! The texture and sour-ish aftertaste take a little getting used to, but I really like it...try it! )

On the flip side, the dairy business does have its perks. I always have a nicely stocked Greek yogurt shelf and cheese drawer with every kind of cheese you could ever imagine or want! On top of that, Joe's company is a private label company, meaning they shred the cheese and put it in the bag with, let's say, your supermarket's name on it and sell it as generic. Well, what's the first thing do when the economy tanks? Stop buying name brands like "K_R_A_F_T"( the enemy) and buy the cheaper stuff, which lets just admit it...it's the same cheese people! And what does Joe's company do when the economy tanks? Has the best sales quarters on record, of course! ( Joe has asked me not to divulge the name of the company on the blog.)

So, since we are here to start up this new yogurt division, Joe has lots of business trips and late nights. Lots is actually an understatement. I miss him when he's gone, but appreciate all his hard work. He's a good man with integrity and good looks to boot!

In the meantime until this project is finished though, I remain faithfully yours, "Katy the lonely little Dairy Widow!" :)



(PS: I forgot to tell you, I got a part time job at a Christian bookstore in the area! I needed something to just get me out of the house a bit! One prayer answered....keep praying for friends and a church!)

No comments:

Post a Comment