Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Quality...

I have to admit, I do not consider myself a person who has "countless casual acquaintances." I would so much rather have just a few "quality friends" that you can count on when things get tough, and God has truly blessed me with people in my life who I would consider quality, lifetime friends.

Today after a day with just my momma and me and many good talks, I got to see two long-time friends who I cheered with in middle school and on. They are sisters and their youngest sister just got married this past Saturday, but earlier that week their dad suffered a stroke and was unsure if he would be able to walk his last sweet girl down the aisle. ( He did, thank you God! Please continue to keep him in your prayers as he goes through physical therapy.)The thing that struck me, though, sitting in their living room today, was that they were just so happy even though they were in the middle of this storm they were facing. They have QUALITY of life- they know what is important in life and when things get tough, they have each other.  Sweet family.

Tonight, I got to have dinner with a sweet college friend.  Her car broke down at work , so her husband decided to come as well after he rescued her ( I still maintain that he came because he wanted to see me, not just because he knew since she was out with a quality friend, he would have to fix his own supper! ).  It's strange not knowing all of your friends' husbands yet- we're never all in town at the same time, but I have to say, my quality friend found a quality guy!  Although I am sure he wished he had not come after we talked for three hours straight, he was gracious and engaging and held his own and I was so glad to meet him...he passes the test! 

This trip has been so good for me.  Being in a new place, in a new state, in a new part of the country where your closest family is 26+ hours away can be a bit hard to swallow at first and you really do start to crave those friendships and miss those people who you feel "at home" with, even if they aren't family.  

Tomorrow morning i will fly back to Pennsylvania, but wanted to see one more family who i babysat for back in middle school/high school.  Love them. Dear, sweet family. Even then, God was helping me to meet wonderful, quality people who loved on me and followed up with me all of my teenage years and even into adulthood.  I called and set up breakfast with the mom and to my surprise, she called me back and asked if we could meet at 7am instead because her three precious girls wanted to come to breakfast BEFORE school so they could see me. Can I just repeat that again in case you missed it: three teenage girls are getting up and out of bed two hours early to see me. Honored. Shocked and honored is all I can say.

My love tank is full and my heart is so touched.  Sometimes when you move away for so long, you start to think "will anyone even remember me or care enough to see me when I'm in town," but those quality friends always come through! 

I have now said "QUALITY" so many times it is starting to look funny like it's not a real word. Oh well, you get the point!  Pics from my trip soon to come! Love you all...seek out the quality in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment