Monday, May 24, 2010

A Bittersweet Day...

Today may be just another day to you, May 24th, 2010. But today, for our family is one more special date on the calendar that Dave is not here for.

Today would have been my mom and Dave's Anniversary. They were married for twelve years. I remember the wedding like it was yesterday. It was at the TBCH chapel and I remember that Dave wanted us to be part of the ceremony. They gave all of us kids something special and we made our vows together, as a family. I still have the james Avery ring that they gave me that day. A sweet lady who we lived with at the Children's Home sang a song called "We are a household of faith." I remember feeling so proud, so grown up, and I remember looking at Dave's face when my mom walked down the aisle. Priceless. He was a lucky man and he knew it! My mom, who had been through so much hurt and pain, was glowing. She was beautiful.

Mom, I've been praying for you all day today, I know this has got to be a tough one. I know that we all thought the dates on the calendar wouldn't affect us, but as we face each holiday, birthday, and special time together without him, I realize how very wrong we were. There's a word for that: oh yes, its called "DENIAL." I'm hoping that next year will be easier for all of us.

Dave, you were a wonderful man who we loved so much. You are so missed. You made my mom happier than I ever saw her- even through all the years of cancer and dismal circumstances and grim prognosis, she was truly happy with you. You showed us all what a godly man looked like. You gave Chris and I the father figure we never had, you taught us how to love, and you left a legacy we will never forget. We all love you and miss you.

- THIS POST IN MEMORY OF DAVE O'BRIEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment