Saturday, March 6, 2010

A few of my favorite things...

I am a gadget junkie...seriously! I love new things that claim to make my life easier, and even more so when they are kitchen gadgets that really work.

So here are a few of my favorite things in the kitchen (besides my new Kitchen Aid mixer of course!)

I love all things OXO and Simple Human- smart designs that simplify my life! I could go to Bed Bath and Beyond and spend hours in the kitchen section looking at all their cool ideas.

This is the OXO Good Grips one handed paper towel holder. The nice thing is you dont have to touch it with two dirty hands when you need a paper towel- just grab the end and pull. Plus, the bottom is weighted, so when you pull it doesn't fall over.


This grater comes with a little tupperware that hooks onto the bottom and a lid so you can grate cheese and then store it in the fridge. Good idea.


This is a green plastic knife that is for cutting your lettuce... they claim that by cutting it with plastic, rather than metal, it helps the lettuce edges not brown so fast- I think it works pretty well.


I registered for this as a wedding gift because my aunt had one and loved it so she insisted that I needed one too. I wasn't sure if I would use it all that much, but I use it all the time-- makes chopping things up so quick.


This salad spinner is so nifty- you rinse in the colander basket and then places inside of the bowl, press til it starts spinning and now your lettuce is clean and dry...so nice!


Okay, this can opener is seriously cool. You crank it all the way around the can and then grab the can lid with the other end and lift the can top off with no sharp edges to cut you!


This avacado tool is from Crate and Barrel. With one tool, you can scoop out the pit, separate the outside peel from the avacado "guts" and then turn it over and mash it up for guacamole- yum!

You've seen an apple corer, well same idea, but this is a mango splitter...great idea! They also make a larger scale version of this for cantaloupes, but I would rather cut it by hand to save space in my cabinets (it's pretty big).

This Simple Human stainless steel trashcan was a major splurge, but it's so nice! Not only is it sleek and clean and easy to keep clean, it has a pedal and when you push it to open the lid, it has something in there that makes the lid close slowly so it doesnt slam... the other nice thing is the trash can has a hidden bin inside that the bag tucks in to so that you can't see the bag hanging over the edges and it never falls inside when you throw away something heavy.

Okay, this is my favorite new one by far! It's a pineapple corer! You slice off the top leafy part of the pineapple and center the tool, stab it in and start to twist. When you get to the bottom of the pineapple, you pull up and not only is it cored, but it sliced it in a spiral as you twisted down- so cool! LOVE IT...

This is the finished product!

Told you I was a junkie... is it totally lame that I get so excited about these kinds of things? Please tell me SOMEONE else gets excited about cool gadgets?!? Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Hey,now I am going to have to purchase some of these items. You need to work for BB&B.
    Love,
    Patty R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good kitchen gadget, though my new (tiny) apartment version has forced me to condense. Frieda, my pink Kitchen Aid stand mixer definitely has her place of honor on the counter. I actually just finished dissecting a pineapple. I use a big knife, a grapefruit spoon, and a small biscuit cutter. One of my favorite new gadgets is this Teavana Perfect Tea Maker: http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Tea-Makers-Infusers/Teavana-Perfect-Tea-Maker-16oz.axd. Makes brewing loose-leaf tea a breeze.

    ReplyDelete