Friday, March 5, 2010

YES MAN



Have you seen the movie YES MAN with Jim Carrey? Well, I haven't personally, but being the intuitive young lady that I am, I 'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the movies revolves around a guy who says YES to everything...am I close?

Well, my sweet friend Christy who is a military wife had many loooong talks with me before our move and gave me some great advice- harsh at times, but good nonetheless. I think the greatest thing she said to me was "When you get there, you need to be the YES MAN." Confused, she continued to tell me that the way she gets to know people when she moves to a new place is simply to say "YES" to whatever situation she is put in.

So this last three weeks or so I have made that my goal; I am the YES MAN.
Meet new neighbors and bring over cookies and snacks to each: YES.
Go try new churches every Sunday: YES.
Make lunch dates with potential girl friends: YES.
Find a running buddy: YES.
Go with a neighbor to pick out a Bible study we can do together: YES.
Make dinner dates with other couples: YES.
Have people over even though the house is not finished and totally unpacked: YES.
Join a new Gym: YES....spinning on Tuesdays with Jenn: ...um,MAYBE.


I know how important friends are, and I also know how lonely it can be to lock yourself inside in a new house all day in a new town with feet of snow on the ground. Girls NEED each other. We have thousands of words each day to use up, while our poor men use up their meager few hundred at work... girls, we have GOT to stick together! So, my goal is to make healthy relationships quickly and find the people that God has chosen to bring into my life on this move and pray for direction. Moving can be hard, new places can be lonely, and the thought of meeting all new people can be tiring and sometimes scary, but this is where God has brought us in this season of our life and we just want to make the best of it all and have "joy in the journey" and "happy hearts" as my sweet momma says.

So, here's my challenge for you today: find something that you can get out of your comfort zone and say YES to-- it might just turn out better than you think!

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie I needed to hear this. You spoke to my heart! I hope all goes well with you both!!
    Love ya,
    Patty R.

    ReplyDelete